Monday, January 19, 2009

Pre Post-Marathon Post

I'm posting in the lobby of my Phoenix Hotel because it's free down here, but costs fourteen bucks a day up in my room. Also I enjoy watching yesterday's runners do the marathon shuffle toward the front desk. (The marathon shuffle is a funky hitch-and-a-hop caused by lactic acid and other exercise waste products that looks a lot like the way Redd Foxx walked in Sanford and Son.)

On the road in an hour back to LA. It's been a stressful trip as illness, travel and marathon coaching do not mix. I didn't get to visit any of my Phoenix friends and barely had time to call home.

But I did get to ride the shiny new Metro Rail. Public rail is a lot like public housing: there's a brief spring of neatness and order before an immediate plunge into the winter of neglect, 
graffiti and unknown substances stuck to the furniture.

More in a bit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry there was sickness...did the cold get to you, or were others sick?

Fred Sanford's gait -- perfect description of the post marathon shuffle.

Tom R.

Kiley said...

Redd Foxx was THE MAN. I have a few of his old comedy tapes I listen to every few years.

"Do you know where cousins come from....?......

Aunt holes."

Classic!

Feeling much better. Symptoms were aches, lethargy, and majoy head congestion. Fever-like symptoms without much of a temp. Some night sweats.

Maybe I'm going through menopause!
Never know, I ate a few Luna Moons the other day.

it took me a shade under a week to feel normal again.....Whatever normal is!

Get well John!

JP Mac said...

Thanks, Kiley.

I had the same symptoms, yet no fever.

Odd.

I think I saw this on the "X-Files."

See you Saturday!

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...