Wednesday, January 28, 2009

St. George HS and the Vienna Boys

I was just contacted by an old high school chum. Oakner and I attended St. George in Evanston, Illinois through our sophomore year and hadn't spoken in geological eons. Our school name was the Dragons, and while St. George teams had suffered due to declining enrollment, underage drinking was in a boom period.

Oakner and a group of us called the "Vienna Boys" (named after a Clark Street hot dog stand and not a European choir), ran around the north side of Chicago between Clark Avenue and the lake, and from Howard Street south to Devon, having interesting and informative teenage adventures. Often we'd drink beer, ride public transportation, throw up beer, get kicked off public transportation. Once on a bus during the winter, I vomited up a half-dozen tangerine slices, still intact. I just missed an old woman's foot. She gave me a disgusted look, "If y'all can't hold yore liquor, you shouldn't drink." Great advice which I eventually followed decades later.

Oakner assured me most of the old group doesn't drink very much, if at all, and they hardly ever ride public transportation. In any case, I'll be back in Chicago this February for a cousin's wedding and can't wait to see them. At the very least see Oakner, who figured largely in many youthful events, found his way over time, met a great woman, and now runs a small restaurant out in the 'burbs.

Whatever happens, no tangerines, that's for sure. They're the devil's fruit.

6 comments:

takineko said...

I once threw up a hot dog in three perfect sections. As if I ate it in 3 bites with no chewing.

What the heck is that about??

Anonymous said...

A fitting tribute to a fine group of juvenile delinquents-in-the-making. Luckily, we all (for the most part) grew out of it.
Can't wait to meet up again - I wonder how we'll get along sober?!
-Tim (Oakner)

JP Mac said...

Three parts - not bad.

I hope it was on public transport.

JP Mac said...

Oakner,

I think we'll do just fine.

In any case, at least we'll remember what happened.

Anonymous said...

John-

Completely un-blog related but for some reason, seeing this today sent to me from a friend made me happy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnKmvpG3Alk

Freak-a-mich, Freak-a-dich, indeed.

-Troy

JP Mac said...

Thanks, Troy.

Now I wish we'd done it in German on purpose.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...