Saturday, January 10, 2009

Kiley Trains for Leona Divide 50

Last practice today for the Phoenix runners. Next week, Write Enough will join the team in Arizona for Sunday's Phoenix Marathon. Some teammates are recovering from injuries while others are bored with training and ready to put a race in the books. I'll be walking about the course, checking on this one and that one, helping the half-marathoners finish and full-marathoners endure. I'm thinking they'll do just fine.


On the subject of endurance, TNT Coach Kiley has commenced training for a 50-mile run. The Leona Divide 50 winds through the Angeles National Forest near Lake Hughes. Not content preparing for a double-marathon, he has also committed to raise 5K for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Having lost his dad to non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, Kiley takes his training and the mission of LLS quite seriously. (Without getting all stuffy and arch about it.)

Follow along with Kiley as he blogs his journey toward an April 18th date with discomfort.

Also, stop by his fundraising site and help out with whatever you can.

Vegetarian hog dogs. I watched someone eat one today. Would a carnivore dine on meat-wheat? I'll leave that as an open question.

10 comments:

takineko said...

meat-wheat? I don't know. I have heard of a lion named "Little Tyke" who ate fruits and refused meat or blood of any kind.


I was a vegetarian.. like twice in my life. It's not that hard for me to make the switch except that I'm a terrible and lazy cook, so I shouldn't be trusted with anyone's nutrition. They out live everyone, so don't knock it! Besides, who doesn't love the word, Tofurky??

JP Mac said...

Andy Kaufman was an extremely healthy vegetarian until he perished from lung cancer.

Among long-distance runners, I've seen equally good performances notched by both parties to the meat/no meat question.

As such, there's room for Tofurky and, the fast-growing favorite, hamapples.

takineko said...

hamapples are not popular with the non vegitarian jewish long-distance running community I'm asuming.

JP Mac said...

There have been sullen grumblings.

Anonymous said...

I've oft wondered the same vegetarian question myself... if you're opposed to the concept behind a burger then why eat a concoction made to resemble a burger? If fur is murder, why wear a faux fur coat? Isn't it the same concept?

JP Mac said...

There is a meat-is-murder-veggie camp.

And a health-based camp.

Sometimes they blend together, but as a non-veggie I only pay attention when they me wearing a fur coat. In my case, it's gorilla fur and it keeps you warm and smelling faintly of bananas.

takineko said...

Not all vegitarians are worried about hurting animals. Some of us just want to be healthier.

JP Mac said...

The majority of veggies I encounter seem to fall in the health camp.

k said...

In the pic - What's that in your hand? Is that a cup of coffee?

JP Mac said...

That's not me.

That's the aforementioned Kiley.

Water, would be my guess.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...