Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Bus Riding Then and Now

They were glad to see me back yesterday, the mechanics. "Mr. McCann, we've been waiting." My shocks and struts were repaired. Two new tires had been added. But still more expensive repairs were needed. "You must replace the front shocks. While not as bad as the rear shocks, they are unworthy of you." I passed. I kind of like the bouncing.

In order to get back to the garage, I had to ride a bus for the first time in 25 years. Back in my L.A Connection days, I had car trouble and no money to retrieve it from the shop. So I took the bus until I saved up enough to ransom my ride. Back then, I was traveling from Hollywood out to the theater in Sherman Oaks. My stop was on Hollywood Boulevard - depressing by day, terrifying by night. For an idea of what it was like, Netflix The Road Warrior. Everything on the Boulevard was the same as in the movie except for no sand or oil refinery, and, maybe 40 or 50 Feral Children with stainless steel boomerangs.

No such drama in La Canada. My trip took twenty minutes and I spent most of it trying to figure out how much a bus ride cost. As the door hissed open, I pulled out some bills. But the woman driver waved me aboard, "You don't have to pay." I thanked her and sat down. Hey, I'm digging the bus. I watched a Mexican woman step on. She flashed a pass to the driver. A young student couple inserted a card into a slot. A guy in his twenties paid a quarter. Then a woman boarded with two kids, exchanged small talk with the driver, and took a seat. I'm guessing she paid with the gift of chat.

Anyway, if you're in town, board the Glendale Beeline #3 Southbound along Foothill Boulevard in La Canada.

They're ready to deal.

7 comments:

takineko said...

I don't understand this magical bus which excepts any or no currency..

And why does your blog's clock so very off from mine? How many hours difference is there between LA and Texas??

Last time I was on a bus, I was living a Germany. It was only a couple of years ago but I felt very.. starred at. I'm still not sure why I don't think I stand out much compared to the other people.. maybe there was something about me that made me look foreign..

JP Mac said...

Nor do I.

I'm not sure.

Perhaps you were suffering from bus fever.

takineko said...

Bus fever, downtown square fever, and resteraunt fever apparently because I felt starred at just about everywhere I went. Or I could be suffering from paranoid schizophrenia as that sort of runs in my family... now I'm paranoid about becoming paranoid...

JP Mac said...

Germans mostly stare because they're wondering if you'll be disorderly.

takineko said...

Hahaha, is that all? I sit quietly and they have holidays in which they run stark naked through the streets, and they're worried about me?

JP Mac said...

Yes.

It's a Teutonic thing.

takineko said...

Retroactively. I'd say it was a Cap d'Agde thing, but I digress..

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...