Friday, April 16, 2010

On the Nose with Basel Squamous

A shout-out to family and friends who checked in yesterday. All the prayers and little bits of encouragement helped in many ways as I look forward to getting the bandage off today and appearing only mildly deformed to the general public.

Between the wound draining and a big nose bandage, I slept poorly last night. Today, Ernesto drove me to the doctor's for yet another blood test, this one concerning anemia. I thanked my doc for catching the cancer. I'm like a medical windfall to him; every week, something new from tendinitis to anemia to cancer. Perhaps my story will make the New England Journal of Medicine as the Amazing Often-Sick California Man. (Then I can claim it as a publishing credit.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In honor of your pain and sleeplessness on the night of April 15th to the morning of April 16th, I woke up around 3:30 am for a nature call, and wound up sleep-walking into the shower door. No glass broke...but I managed to wedge my right ring finger in between the glass shower door and the glass shower door hinge, then the glass door shut on the glass hinge. Both beveled glass sides of this equation proved to be inappropriate sharp for finger wedging by late-night sleep-walkers. Suddenly, I was wide awake. My immediate coyote yelping and random Ralph Kramden-like leaping about brought the speedy attention of my beloved wife, who came up with a brilliant first move of turning on the light. This allowed us to assess the damage. The finger gouge looked deep enough for oil dredging. Rather than faint, I decided to stare, whine and occasionally yell. The bloody mess looked stitch-worthy to me, and I pictured myself spending some long bleary hours in a not-nearly-nearby-enough understaffed emergency room. But my bride is of sterner stock than I, and having considerable experience with cuts of all types due to her scissors-based career, she worked with paramedic-like precision. She cleaned and dried the wound, applied neosporin, wrapped the finger securely in a variety of cloth bandaids, and was back in bed soundly asleep before I could flick off the light. Three cheers for the little lady!

Hope your nose is feeling better. My finger has sympathy pains.

JP Mac said...

An amazing and painful-sounding injury. Glad Annie took some action.

This afternoon, Joy spilled boiling water and scalded her hand.

Pain walks the land.

Hope you're feeling better.

takineko said...

Hope you're sleeping more comfortably. I'm up all night due to a late afternoon nap.

Hey, what if it turned out one of these anonymous posters was only pretening to be TR? That would be awesome.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...