Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Run Down Blood Count

Literally. Blood tests from a physical came back showing my red blood cell count lower than the economy, making me borderline anemic. I held a cross up to my wife and she was cool, so that rules out home vampirism. Until my next doctor appointment, I'm taking iron supplements and dining on eclectic chow that should up the level a tad.

Meanwhile, I've fallen into a pattern of walking 3x a week and swimming 2x. Maybe the low red count might be why I'm so gassed after swimming. Being out-of-shape could be a bigger factor. So far, I'm swimming 1300 meters each session. That takes around 48 minutes with warm-up and cool-down. I wear these short swim fins for half the workout to concentrate on form. But mostly I splash a length, stop and pant, then splash back, pant, et cetra. I want to take a lesson, but I'm so pathetic, the instructor might try and hold me under with a long pole. Hopefully, I'll work my way up to 400 meters without stopping, then see what the world of professional instruction looks like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No ulcers, right?

Eerily, I know of four people right now whose red count is dangerously low - due to an undiagnosed bleeding ulcer.

I know you're keeping a sharp watch...but while you're at it, have another big bowl of watercress.

Take care, John.
Kate

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...