Sunday, April 11, 2010

Go Ask Alice in Wonderland

My wife and I saw Alice in Wonderland yesterday, keeping alive our streak of only seeing films that have "aged" a few months. Pleasant and entertaining. I remember little from the original Disney version and barely anything from the books. My only quibble would be Alice's closing "mad" idea of opening markets in China. As the film was set in the Victorian era, China was already colonized by Western powers. In fact, the country was on the brink of erupting in anti-foreigner violence known as The Boxer Rebellion. Perhaps the sequel can draw on proper history, as Alice enrages the Dowanger Empress with her pert forthrightness, causing boxer Chinese to attack the Hatter and lop him to bits in a frenzy of patriotic zeal.

Or maybe more cute stuff with Tweedle dum and Tweedle dee.

2 comments:

Keeper said...

Tim Burton has a bit of a history problem, I guess.

I quite audibly and shockingly cried out "WHAT?!?!" early in The Corpse Bride when Victoria said that her mother wouldn't let her touch a piano because it wasn't proper for girls. In Victorian times, the daughter of the household was EXPECTED to play the piano for guests. It was very much a girls' instrument in the home.

JP Mac said...

People probably believe that the Victorian era is fake because history books never mention steampunk.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...