Saturday, March 20, 2010

Devil's Gate

Walked through the reservoir today for the first time since Sept. 2008, when I ran the trails on my way to eventual knee surgery. Winter rains washed out so much vegetation, it looked like a dried river bottom. Not so dry though, as there was still low-lying water around to keep the cracked mud company. Knee held up well. No soreness. In keeping with recommended injury prevention - which I never bothered with before - I'm only adding ten percent additional walking per week. (I should reach marathon distance sometime in the early 22nd century.) Meanwhile my swimming has many of the elements of a polka: wild twirling followed by breathless collapse. This isn't proper form, but I believe not-drowning to be the foundation of any successful water exercise program.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Not drowning' can always be considered your best form, John. The rest is just showboating, don't you think? Those Tasmanian devil aquatics will have served you well one of these days when suddenly you find you can move without pain again.

Eight inches of snow...like a scene from Dr. Zhivago, I see a few bundled, shapeless peasants [really just some hardier Methodists trying to get to church] struggling to cross the street in snow that is blowing sideways. But the view from my upstairs window is spectacular. Probability of more snow today? 100%.
Kate

JP Mac said...

My heart goes out to you. They had a few shots on the news of Oklahoma, buried under global warming.

Courage and warmth to you in these wintery times.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...