Thursday, June 11, 2020

Raceless in LA


men health.au

All Trained Up and No Place to Run

(Unless You're Running From the Law)

Since Los Angeles has scotched all outdoor sporting activities save mass demonstrations and rioting, I find myself a man alone without a marathon. I'd set my sights on a winter marathon up in Oxnard, but, sadly, they've cancelled due to the old Wuhan Virus. 

Actually, I'm Not Trained Up At All

I was back in February, having run eight miles for the first time in over a decade, lowering my 5k time, and cross-training like a fiend on the stationary bike. But an injury and the COVID blues sapped my zeal. Nevertheless, once again on the rebound, I find that road races are as outmoded as streaking. Virtual racing holds little appeal for me. Who says I ran the time I claim?

Here is My Simple Plan

Training for 26.2 will continue. At such point as I would run a marathon, I will, instead, run from Lot K at the Rose Bowl to the Elmer Smith Bridge and back, then loop the Rose Bowl until I complete 26.2 miles. (Six laps or so.) I invite any and all to observe and second my efforts. Barring fires, floods, pandemics, civil disturbances, or giant insects, I hope to attempt this in late November or early December 2020. 

There. Now I've said. Until then, stay safe and limber.   


8 comments:

Authors 4 Characters said...

Where there's a will, there's a way. Get it done!

Wild news... there's only 7 more months to Christmas. Seize those months! This wacky year is going by.

J P Ryan said...

I remember pinky and brain. You're right, there's nowhere to run anymore due to the plandemic. Anyway, hope things are good with you. P.S. I don't mean to be a grammar police man, but you have spelt Wikipedia wrong in the side bar. You wrote Wickipedia. Unless it was intentional, you're slipping young man!

JP Mac said...

And yet you were a grammar police man.

Nevertheless, good catch.

Retro Shadow said...

So, did you complete the marathon? I understand it you didn't. 20+ miles is a lot of ground to cover!

JP Mac said...

Did not.

Despite my written contempt for virtual races, I tried
a hundred miler last October.

But, as is my bane, I overdid it and injured myself.

But this year, the LA Marathon is back and moved
to November.

I'm giving it serious thought.

Authors 4 Characters said...


An actual race! YAAAY!

Tsk, tsk on over-doing. Rest up for November. What's the weather like in California in November?

JP Mac said...

Cool.

Excellent running weather.

Authors 4 Characters said...

Good! You'll have ideal running weather PLUS near to normal living conditions (Oh, please, GOD!) Train carefully. Pace yourself. Slow and steady may NOT win any marathons, but it'll keep you on your feet.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...