Saturday, March 11, 2006

Storm Running


Finished a ten mile run today with Team in Training. This is the first time I've run with my Summer pace group. It's also the last since pace groups will be reshuffled following next week's 5K.

Stormy yesterday and today. Snowline crept way down the mountain. Through breaks in the mist you could see the San Gabriels covered in green and white. They looked moldy.

Lots of zig-zag running on trails covered by wide puddles or strewn with washed-down rocks and debris. Chilly rain fell now and again with a hail storm thrown in for seasoning. Many runners wore black, plastic trash bags. Jeff, a seasoned TNT veteran, recommends 55 gal. generic brands that tear easily. In addition to low-tech water-proofing, the bags are warm.

After practice, I was very greatful for a working car heater.

Ahhhh!

2 comments:

k said...

Beautiful pic. Is it yours? I'd guessed the gorgeous iceberg was not actually taken by you though.

California's sense of the fashionably acceptable gets a bit convoluted. The garbage bag bit always appeals to the MacGuyver in me. But it's PLASTIC! and FUNNYLOOKING! whispers someone in my other ear.

Neither fact bothers me one whit. I just have a hard time reconciling them with the CA Fashion Police concept.

As for running around in that kind of cold...here's where I put my hands over my ears - i mean eyes - and chant lalalalalalala...

JP Mac said...

Not my pic, alas, but similar to what the sky looked like.

When I think of it, those trash bags made everyone look like they were big teabags in a commercial.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...