Sunday, March 19, 2006

5K Nuts to Me

My Team in Training chapter ran the Emerald Nuts 5K this morning. With all the training I've missed, I did better than expected: 27:22 - an 8:49 per minute pace for the 3.1 miles. One of our coaches, Kate, placed second in her age group.

Most of the team took the Gold Line from Pasadena to Union Station in downtown LA, then transferred to the Red Line for a three-stop jaunt to Flower St. From there we walked over to the Staples Center and the start line. Very easy, stress free arrival - unlike the nerve-jangling chaos of Pacific Shoreline parking back in February. This was only the second time I've been on the Metro Rail. I'm guessing there must be some invisible ray that scans all passengers, identifying those without tickets and giving them kidney stones. Because no human being ever asked to see my ticket. I saw a bum conked out in a subway car. More were sleeping in the station. I grew nostalgic for Chicago.

I would love to run the LA Marathon next year. After the Chicago Marathon in October. And, of course, the San Diego Marathon in June.

Not that I'm looking ahead or anything.

1 comment:

k said...

Oh! the Emerald Nuts are FREED! Free and unbound! free at last!

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...