Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sit-Com Report

Finally heard back from my agent. She enjoyed the sit-com, liked the story, but felt the three main characters needed a bit more distinguishing. Fair enough. And not a particularly thorny fix, as these matters go.  As often happens, the material execs will read changes with the seasons. For a long time they wanted a sample of a currently running sit-com. Since the great sit-com die-off, they now want an original script. Also, I learned one of the major animation studios is reluctant to even take pitches from me since one exec doesn't feel anything I've written is "funny enough." That's like sending back a cup of coffee because the liquid isn't "wet enough." Idiosyncratic. Unanswerable. But bound to change once the new script gets out there.

As to my paying animation gig, I've completed the outline and will send it out on the morrow. That means income. I'm faint and girlish thinking about it. 

My friend Dale, whom I've written about for the last two years, has taken another head-butt from cancer. He's been opened up so many times his stomach has lost all elasticity, intestines tied and re-tied into a complicated mess. On Sunday, he was rushed in for emergency surgery after a leak had developed in his mangled guts. And while Dale survived, his pain is immense. When I saw him today, his eyes were popped out from all the morphine. We sat and watched Hawaii 5-0 until he fell asleep. 

Keep him in your prayers, as well as his family. They watch and wait. 

4 comments:

takineko said...

That's all in all good news job-wise. Strange an exec thought you weren't funny "enough". Hmm.. I often feel like if writers were allowed to write whatever they wanted, the quality of shows would improve. Too bad you can't have other writers on your side reviewing the work instead of execs. Ah well I can dream..

I'll pray for Dale, my grand mother in law has been through so much chemo and surgery that she refuses to deal with her current life threatening problem. I suppose its only a mater of time for her, but she seems so normal I don't really think about it.

JP Mac said...

Imagine having your artwork judged by non-artists.

I think Dale may soon reach the same point as your grandmom-in-law, where the pain, hassle and loss of dignity in the struggle aren't worth the life you're left with.

I'll pray for your in-law grandmom and hope she finds peace.

takineko said...

I suppose alot of artists have to have their artwork judged by non-artists. What does it take to own an art museum? I don't know.

Thanks for your prayers, I really appreciate them.

Anonymous said...

Never tell that exec he has ears like a monkey.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...