Thursday, July 02, 2009

Farewell, Karl Malden

Tom Ruegger sent around more vulture pics and another celebrity passed on.

I really liked Karl Malden in Nevada Smith. He played a ruthless crook who supervised the skinning of Steve McQueen's mom. (Not for real, that was Lee J. Cobb. The legal case drags on.) McQueen hunts Malden all over the west, becoming as callous and hardened as his prey. Malden knows he's being stalked and grows paranoid and jittery, unable to stand the strain of impending retribution. Malden's pleading taunt of "yer yellow, ya haven't got the guts," became a high school catch-phrase we'd fling at each other as a way of pushing someone to do something that would get him in trouble. It usually worked. (SPOILER ALERT!! plus SCANDINAVIAN SUBTITLE ALERT!!)

ht/: frank5400

3 comments:

Dutch said...

Pretty impressive off the hip shooting!

JP Mac said...

Got him a few times.

I didn't remember McQueen as a southpaw.

Anonymous said...

I'm weary of all the celebrity passings.

Therefore...

I will stop sending out vulture pictures...for now.

But, for the record, if Olivia de Havilland pisses me off, vultures pictures, drawings and photos will be emailed with alacrity.

Best regards,

Tom Ruegger
Vulture Venue Road
Calabasas CA

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...