Saturday, July 11, 2009

Birth of Acme Comedy Theatre


Bob Petrella reminded me that today (a Tuesday?) back in 1989, M.D. Sweeney held the first class for what-was-to-become the Acme Comedy Players. Present were Bob and myself, Sherri Stoner, Ken Segall, Jim Wickline, and possibly a few others from our days at the L.A. Connection. We worked out of a small theater on Tujunga Ave. in Studio City, just down the block from the restaurant where, in later years, Robert Blake shot his wife. (We hadn't much money so we never ate there. They could've shot a celebrity wife every week and we'd still be dining at 7-11.) Months passed as we worked on basic improvisational comedy, added a few more cast members (including Adam Carolla), and, that fall, commenced working on written sketches as Sweeney wanted us performing live shows beginning in early spring 1990. (Bob will know the date.)

My life was better in people and events from attending that wee improv group. Happy Birthday, Acme!

4 comments:

takineko said...

In 1989 I was turning 4 years old... Do you feel old yet? Cuz I feel young..

Well, looking back does it feel like some sense of fate threw you guys together?

JP Mac said...

I do feel old, but, also, hopeful and excited about the future. In a way, I think I'm just getting started.

(Others have this feeling much earlier in life. Perhaps they're not as lethargic as I.-:))

I believe similar temperment played a big part in keeping us together. Occasionally we'd get funny cast members who were personally caustic and destructive. Sweeny had to kick such a guy out early on.

Frankly, I was a dark, moody cuss back then and could be a real buzz kill. I'd be a better cast member today. But that's part of getting old - not making the same mistakes. Now I make fresh, interesting ones.

SquirrelyWrath said...

I feel like I'm sort of in the same place as far as making new and interesting mistakes goes. Just when you think you have attained a modicum of sanity life shows you how terribly wrong you are. If there was such a thing as a god of mischief I fear I would be his personal bitch.

JP Mac said...

Self-awareness and a sense of humor go a long way in life.

Expect at IRS audits.

Then you need a sense of humor and receipts.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...