Monday, March 04, 2024

Maudlin Marathon Update

 

 Last week, I bemoaned the obstacles placed between myself and marathon training. Well, the most difficult is past. Now all that remains to be seen is whether I waited too long, ran too far, in too long a time and tired out my legs.

Friday, I completed 17.5 miles. That is the farthest I'll venture in training. With the race less than two weeks off, I'm now in my taper phase, lowering long run and weekly mileage and preparing mentally for 26.2. The temperature was cool and windy, perfect for a 10k. Unfortunately, I ran several hours and was chilled to the bone. Possibly, I'll face these conditions again on race day.

And while my finishing time may not glitter, I overcame one of the worst cases of the quits in 46 years. That's when I under-trained for the Chicago Marathon, then blew it off. And while I eventually ran Chicago, the stench of quitting lingered long after the event. 

So I made myself run on Friday. Having done so, there's no reason not to complete the LA Marathon. Damn the street sweepters!

More soon. 👈

No comments:

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...