Saturday, November 21, 2020

Facebook-Writing-Running Updates Galore

 Let's be clear: Facebook still sucks. I believe my Ad Blocker is the reason they're giving me so much grief of late. (This would be the Ad Blocker I've been using for years.) I can no longer administer my JP Mac Author Page without being told I need a new email. Once I change the email, I'm informed I need a new email. They task me, these beetling tech people, skulking behind their algorithms.

Look to the right of this page. You will see the title for Death Honk. My collection of nine short stories will go live on December 26. What an excellent chance to use the Christmas gift cards received from relatives too busy to inquire what you actually enjoy. Amazon goes live on that date. But thanks to Draft2Digital, there will be a preorder sale starting next week for purchases on on Barnes & Noble, Apple, Kobo and other sites. In the next few days I'll provide compelling information on how to interact with these mysterious, weird, shocking, humorous tales.

Now let your eyes stray down from the book cover. You will see a listing for Pages. There will be two listings. One will read: On the Road with JP Mac. After many years, I've created a separate page for my running updates. Visit, note the incidents, comment if you will. Change is in the air and in my pockets, jiggling merrily.

5 comments:

Authors 4 Characters said...

Your book will be in my collection by the new year or just after it. LOVE the cover. While it's more of a Halloween theme, a good read is a good read.

As to the ongoing technical wrangles, OY! Does Facebook offer any help at all, or any reason for the foul ups? I'm technically illiterate so I'd be utterly useless for any advice. Someone explained algorhythms some time ago, when I was just getting started using computers. My reply, "O-kay."

While there is some legitimate reason for spending time on sites like Facebook, it can eat through time like a killer whale going through a school of baby seals.

JP Mac said...

Sadly, the cover was not commissioned but purchased off a pre-made site.

Draft2Digital already has this cover up on someone's else's work. I was too slow.
So off I go, seeking an original cover.

As to Facebook, they hide behind their FAQs and algorithms. I believe my issues lie in using
Ad Blocker. I've done it for years. But Facebook doesn't seem to care for it anymore.

Vexing, but I'm alive, in fairly good health, and enjoying the day. That overrides today's challenges.

Authors 4 Characters said...


As far as Ad Blocker, I'm THINKING (could be wrong but ....) that ad blocker deprives Facebook of revenue. Even if you've been using it for years, they finally FOUND you, and, I'm sure, other 'culprits' who might be depriving them of extra $$$. Again, I could be wrong. Maybe it's another headache for their people to have to put up with.

Bummer about the cover. Have you ever tinkered with designing your own cover? I use Photoscape and designed the cover for my anthology. Whether Lulu will end up using it, not sure, but I had fun with it.

At the end of the day, you're right!! For better or worse, this year is teaching us to examine our priorities. Family and health over fuss. My pastor commented, in an email, that ALL he wants for Christmas is for the congregation to be able to assemble for a Christmas Eve service. Here's to hoping!

I was watching highlights from 2019 CFL Winnipeg Blue Bombers Grey Cup win . I usually have ZERO interest in football or any other sport, but you had a stadium full of people! At the parade, a week later, Winnipeggers crammed portage and Main, elbow to elbow. celebrating a big win after a 29 year drought. No masks. No social distancing. Just a whole lot of people celebrating a big win. Oy! The difference a year makes.

For all you sports fans, here's to hoping for a year full of football, baseball, hockey, with stadiums and arenas full of people!



JP Mac said...

I could be wrong, but I've heard Facebook follows you around the Web, hoovering up your data and the sites you visit, then selling it.I'm not missing them very much.

Congrats to the Blue Bombers. As a long-time Chicago Cubs fan, I know the sting of perennial sport's futility.

Hope your pastor's wish comes true.

Authors 4 Characters said...

OY!!!! Really!?!? Now I wish I'd kept my false birthday up.

Facebook has been the Go-To site for a while . To the point where they take people for granted. All the better for you. You're on a writer's page (blogger) and a reader's page. We need to break free of the time eaters.

BOY I hope it does, too! Wanna hear something ....stupid?! This bar owner, around my neck of the woods, got hit with a $5000.oo fine for not complying with rules. Irony of ironies, his bar was called Corona.

It's idiots like that who are making it rough for those of us who want to get on with life. Makes ya wanna cough in his face!

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...