Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Short Story Sale Back in the Day


Ah,  2009


Obama, Madoff, Sully Sullenburger, the Underwear Bomber, Avatar, over 9% unemployment, Yankees win the World Series, and I sell my first short fiction piece. And now a decade has passed. I was a blogging machine back then with 29 posts in November alone and a record 365 posts for the year. I was also posting on another blog and working vigorously on my Ten-in-Six plan.

After selling a short story in 2012, I abandoned shorts in favor of fiction novel first drafts. The results were fantastic. From 2013 to 2018, I completed two or three novel first drafts per year. Like the lazy slug I am, only a handful have seen publication as essays or novellas or actual books - a parody, a horror novel, and an autobiography.

Dismayed, I focused this year on short stories. And while I've only sold one, it felt quite pleasing to notch a sale for the first time in seven years. "Mark of the Bruja" will appear in the Horror: California anthology due out soon. Can an arrogant young playwright and a drunken old house painter stop an ancient evil from nesting in a Hollywood apartment building?



Pick up a copy, read, enjoy.

In the meantime, I type away, attempting to complete a short story that has grown into a novella. Provided I don't fall back into old habits of sloth characterized by web surfing dolphin videos and fat people skate boarding, I should publish by the end of January.

An unwritten plan of action is a wish list.


1 comment:

Authors 4 Characters said...

Hi JP

First off, I'll be getting the book. Can I pre-order?

Aye yes....getting it done. When you can define a novel project by a Presidential administration, that's a while. When that guy's served two terms and you're still plugging away at the same project.... I hear that.

No more naked fat people on dolphins. Get 'er done! For me, it's kitten vids and lately, binge-watching Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood reaction vids.

Seriously, if you want some inspiration, or just need a good reason to sniffle into a jacket, see this movie. It's good!

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...