Saturday, June 12, 2010

Paper Wave; Writing/Running Update

A mound of unread books and magazines has drawn me away from the Web along with a desire to reestablish myself as a guy who can focus with single-minded intent on the printed word, as Internet use has gradually eroded my ability to do so. I've officially begun the other two sections of my novel. Rather than a detailed outline, which has killed two other book attempts, this time I'm filling chapters with stream-of-consciousness notes, thoughts, scenes. That way, I'm more open to the sudden, unexpected changes that will arise. I'm quite excited after avoiding the start for months. Halloween remains my deadline for a first draft. Went a'hiking with Paul Rugg the other day. Paul's not afraid of a vertical trail. However, coming down those vertical trails pounded my knee into soreness. Ran two miles and walked one on Thursday with lingering knee tenderness. Iced on Thu. and Fri; did yoga yesterday, then walked two/ran two today over at Griffith Park. Much improved knee and I finished the run relaxed and pain-free. This Chi running style is quite different and will take a long time to master, but it eliminates the jarring heel strike I practiced successfully for 40 years (give or take a few years off for drunkenness or sloth).

5 comments:

Armando Torre said...

Is that your first book? what's it going to be about?

JP Mac said...

Armando,

Yes, this will be my first completed, published novel, God willing.

It's a horror story about a town shielding a monster and the characters who survive its attack and must deal with loss, suffering and the need for vengeance.

Plus the monster eats a bunch of people and livestock. So its got something for everyone, I hope. -:)

takineko said...

glad to hear you're out having fun!

Armando Torre said...

Ok, I'll need to know the release date of that! It sounds awesome! I just saw Cloverfield and got hooked on disastrous monsters. I know the flick might not be perfect (a guy filming the whole thing makes better material for South Park), but it touches very interesting points. Like the perception of the people trying to survive.

The other day I was checking out a list of Batman Beyond episodes with writers and guess what couple of nice surprises I found.
I just rewatched "Armory". What I liked the most is that you created a couple of villains that belong to archetypes that the regular DCU rarely uses. I liked that Armory wasn't an average Arkham Asylum nut or super-powered criminal, but a true human; he was practically a regular guy under a lot of pressure. I also loved how his contact was all generosity when he needed a dirty deed done but showed his true self once Armory's son catches them. And yet another thing that this episode aces is further development of the supporting cast. Basically same goes for "Terry's Friend Dates a Robot", which also pulls a lot of fun from the possibilities of a series set in the future.

You should try writing comics, the world would really love that! Just for the record, I think you're among the very few writers that could make my favorite character work at his best: the Elongated man.

JP Mac said...

Thanks, Armando, for the kind sentiments.

I liked Cloverfield, though the device of someone filming throughout grew strained toward the end.

Batman Beyond was a nice, change-of-pace. I also think it was the last animated show from Warner Bros. to win an Emmy. (2001?)

I have an outline for a graphic novel that was trying to get going last year. But all my artist contacts are blessed with paying work.

Someday, I'm thinking.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...