Saturday, June 06, 2009

D-Day Salute


AMERICAN CEMETERY IN NORMANDY

My mother was a British Army nurse in England during World War II. She told me once of hearing hundreds and hundreds of aircraft flying overhead as Allied airborne troops headed across the Channel for the drop behind the invasion beaches. That was the night of June 5 with landings starting the next morning: June 6, 1944. Sixty-five years later, I thank those who made the effort to free France so they could snub us and drop out of NATO, write depressing literature, and otherwise be a pain-in-the-ass.

2 comments:

takineko said...

You changed the picture!
This one is more uplifting.

JP Mac said...

You couldn't really read the inscription on the monument. But this one says it all better.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...