Monday, March 21, 2022

Falling While Running

I'm good at it. I have the knack. However, not since marathon training last fall have I sustained a tumble. And not since 2019 have I banged myself up so neatly.

Running two miles uphill on asphalt, I elected to tackle a substantial hill along narrow walking trails. Lizards scuttled out of my way. But it didn't take long to note that the trail was covered in scree—small rocks—over more substantial rocks. My shoes were not designed for trail running. Slipping, I scrambled up a 40 degree slope realizing I'd need to return the same way on a surface without much purchase.

Rising up before me was a sixty degree slope. I turned around. 

Too late.

The way back down was like roller skating on plexiglass. You couldn't slow down. At one point, I felt myself accelerating. Seconds away from losing control and landing on rocks, I chose the lessor of two hurtful evils: I feel into the chaparral. The tangled thorny bushes cushioned my fall but left me with the interesting markings displayed below.

No more unknown dirt trails.

Can't really see the scrape too well. It's just above the knee.

Here is a charming bouquet of wounds.


3 comments:

Authors 4 Characters said...

OUCH!! Thankfully, it looks ickier than it was. Scratches. No major breaks or gashes requiring an emergency room.

I trust your good wife was both concerned and mildly annoyed (with a loving smile) as she cleaned the wounded areas and applied antiseptic and bandaids. 🤕

Next time you decide to tackle an UPHILL climb/ walk, just remember that gravity works faster when you're going down.

P.S. I've done that on a bike a time or two, back in the day. You have my sympathies.

JP Mac said...

My my choices were rocks, the brush, or a steep drop into more brush.

But, for the moment, no more running adventures.

Authors 4 Characters said...

OUCH!!! Glad you didn't go with the rocks or you might not have lived to share your adventure. Scrapes and scratches are tolerable by comparison. For now, heal up and get SLOWLY back into the game on more even terrain.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...