Sunday, January 02, 2022

Notes on Running Goals

womenwholifeweights.com

Busy this morning with my 2021 running recap. Last January, I totaled up my 2020 stats—ran 363 miles, etc,—then totaled the mileage on my various running shoes,* then wrote seven goals for 2021. Here they are:

  1. Run consistently with excellent form. 
  2. Increase cadence to 170.
  3. Postpone Mesa 10k
  4. Lose 30 pounds
  5. Run a 10k by July
  6. Run 10 miles by December
  7. Use info in old running log

How did I do?

  1. In 2021 I ran 623 miles. I only slacked off post-marathon and due to recent illness. My form—chi running form—wavered in its excellence. As I entered double-digit miles, I would lose focus, run sloppy, and tire myself out. More attention on form this year.
  2. By September my feet were hitting the ground 170 times a minute. (I measure with a metronome.) Jogtunes explains why cadence matters to runners.
  3. Race officials canceled the 10k because of COVID. I only had to call and cancel my hotel reservation.
  4. By marathon week I weighed 220 pounds, down from the 250s in January. 
  5. Missed July, but ran a 10k in September. (First since April 2008.)
  6. On August 17 I reached the Elmer Smith Bridge, slapped the metal sign, and returned to my starting point at Lot K for another first. 
  7. Rattled by the rumbling approach of the marathon, I would leaf through my old notes in an emergency. But just because the info is old doesn't necessarily mean its dated. I've got plenty of data and training tips from my TNT days. All hard-earned. I need to take better advantage of that.

Nothing in 2022?


Stlll calculating as well as checking the calendar. Since I'm already on record as stating I wanted to break 30 minutes in the 5k, consider that goal number one. Goal number two will be to break 5 hours in a marathon. (4:59:59 if you please.) That's a pace of 11:27 a mile. All I need now is select the marathon and work backwards, charting out my training weeks. (Then train properly and not get injured.😎) Let's say five more running goals will be forthcoming.

God willing, I'll update in early 2023.




Now, I need to show the same goal-setting dedication with my writing.

*Like cheap tires, the cushioning of running shoes wears thin after several hundred miles. And, like tires, its best to rotate your shoes during training. Replace as needed. (Or when you can afford a new pair.)

6 comments:

Authors 4 Characters said...

WOW!!!! GOOD WORK!!! Keep those accomplishments tacked to your office bulletin board, for the days when you have to just about force yourself to get the writing work done.
After dealing with physical hassles and medical setback to accomplish your win in the last marathon, getting your writing back-log sorted out should be a cake-walk.

As far as buying new runners for better foot care....make that a priority, or your feet and knees will pay the price. 🏃 I had to buy new slip-proof runners for work or I'd have been in the hospital in a full body cast. I get itchy just thinking about it. Love your feet enough to take care of them. Call it an investment in the health of your knee caps.

JP Mac said...

Next stop is listing my writing goals with
appropriate deadlines.

In the past I haven't included deadlines and
my publications have suffered as a result.

Treat your feet with care!

Authors 4 Characters said...

GOOD IDEA!!! A deadline forces you to be accountable to yourself. Besides which, if you don't get the work done, you'll regret it. "Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But soon and for the rest of your life." 🤷‍♀️

A bit of dialogue form classic cinema to encourage you.





JP Mac said...

"Louie, this could be the start of a beautiful friendship."

Authors 4 Characters said...

😁

First step in committing a new story (outline) to paper is to tidying up my desk. Anyone's guess how long it will last, but it kick-starts my focus. As I'm tidying, my mind will unfurl the story I want to commit to paper. (Old school rocks!)

I booked the day off to get my Booster shot and have been pleasantly surprised to have NO side effects. Not even tiredness. The time I'm not spent sleeping will be spent getting stuff done.

On a different topic, have you ever read The Screwtape Letters? I'm listening to the Focus on the Family Radio Theater audio dramatization . Andy Serkis as Screwtape is brilliant!

JP Mac said...

I always work better in a tidy environment.

Loved the Screwtape Letters.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...