Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Kirkus Review Rates Cancer Book


Available at this place.
My cancer and my book, if you must probe and drag the truth from me. Kirkus was quite positive. For instance, they said:

"Mac's ordeal is refreshingly leavened, though, by his unique brand of dark, sarcastic humor, as when he laments an unromantic byproduct of surgical recovery ("Wearing a big wet man diaper chilled my passion"). This often charming remembrance will leave readers with a new appreciation for good health and a more optimistic outlook when things go awry."

To read it all, visit the page at Kirkus Reviews.

In Other News

In "Prostate," I touch on our dwindling finances. Recently, I was shredding some old tax documents from 2010 and was quite amazed to see how rapidly my wife and I burned through the proceeds of a house sale. (Minus a condominium, new vehicle, and a pair of laptops.) In '10, you could observe the last of the water circling the drain. Animation work consisted of a few meetings on two projects that went nowhere. In between, I published a few short fiction pieces, sold some stand-up material, and pitched a video game company to hire me as a scenario writer. This was despite having never played a video game, but, I figured, I'd never written animation before until I was hired. The game company said 'go away,' but with more finesse. 

In addition, I wrote a few articles for a now-defunct website. At the same time, I'd stalled on completing a first draft on what-would've-been my first novel. This stalling business on big writing projects continues to dog me. But like a fine wine, I sit in a dark cellar, covered with dust and cobwebs. After awhile, I finish something.

2 comments:

Authors 4 Characters said...

In light of the good reviews I'm gonna have to break down and get your 'cancer' story, It's usually not a fun topic to read (or write) about but your style makes the ordeal easier to deal with. I'm sure it helped you at the time.

And speaking of books, is there a new installment from the Hallow Mass saga on the way. I'm reading it again, with more attention to detail than I paid on the read before and I'm REALLY enjoying this go-through...taking my time and basking in the other worldliness. HP was a personna unto himself.

Happy weekend.

JP Mac said...

The topic is grim, but, hopefully, the tone makes the content more palatable.

Other than a rough outline, I've nothing new yet on Hallow Mass. Glad you're
enjoying the re-read.

Hopefully, more interest such as yours will motivate me to revise HP's
unique realm.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...