Friday, March 11, 2011

Pitch Fest 2011

Nice long meeting today with the agent as we caucused over my ten ideas for animated TV shows. Several candidates were discarded because they did not fit the current industry meme. (Shows must contain "wish fulfillment" or "bowel empowerment"...something.) These TV animation memes are adopted by executives and often seem artificial and contrived yet have the unofficial force of law—like dress codes among teenage girls. Minus the current meme, you have little chance of even setting a meeting to pitch, let alone getting a development deal for your weird memeless idea.

Eventually, we settled on two ideas for kids' TV animation, one concept for adult animation and one idea we decided worked better as a book. (Another stinking book!) Except for the book, which I need to outline, I'll have to flesh out the animation ideas such as describing the rules of each world. (King of the Hill or "Spongebob?") In keeping with our newest tradition, my agent chose a deadline in which I must deliver her back the updated material. (Ten days from now.)

This means I must up my game a notch. The marketing writing leaves me really weary and not wanting to WRITE ANYTHING including emails and Facebook posts. But if I want to start something rolling again I either need to push myself at day's end or arise earlier and put in two hours or so on my own stuff then buckle up and crank out the ads.

It's like training for a marathon. Not always fun, but you suck it up and go. And so I will.

Prayers and best wishes to the Japanese as they struggle through a jumbo catastrophe.

10 comments:

Luke said...

Bleghch, I used all the consonants for that kind of noise, that's how bad I feel. No, but that seriouslly is disheartening, but hey, a job's a job I suppose.

JP Mac said...

Sad, but true, Luke.

No one else is choosing to pay me at the moment.

But I sense that will change.

Tom Ruegger said...

Like Hero Boy, you must and will succeed.

Godzilla is out of a job.

JP Mac said...

Thanks, Tom.

With this meltdown there's gonna be many Godzillas and a Rodan or two.

Luke said...

Why not try and start a business with them, John?

JP Mac said...

How so, Luke?

Luke said...

Hmm, maybe this could be a show. Superhero out of job, thus he contracts some big movie monsters and fight them to save the day. It could run a whole three episodes before it was canceled! :) Off I go to put a pitch together.

JP Mac said...

Run with that.

Armando Torre said...

I'm rooting for the adult cartoon. I'd love an Adult Swim / McCann fussion.

I think that the people who follow The Venture Bros. is the same that once followed Freakazoid and the Tick. I also follow Metalocalypse, I'm not a metalhead but I know many and having that reference, I find the show hilarious. Harvey Birdman was a great one (I think it might be closer to your sense of humor) Stephen Colbert provided some voices.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for 2 reasons, first because I wish you the best, but mainly because I really enjoy the stuff you create!

JP Mac said...

Appreciate that, Armando.

I think I have another show or two left in me.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...