Monday, November 28, 2005

"The Infested Outside" and Other Fond Memories II

Frank Frazetta drew evocative "Creepy"/"Eerie" covers. There were dark ancient temples, sea serpents rising from storm-tossed waves, mighty warriors battling winged demons, ill-clad, voluptuous women — with and without leopards. He sure knew what appealed to 11- year-old me. Frazetta also illustrated covers for the paperback reissue of Robert E. Howard's Conan series. My friends and I were big Conan fans and traded around the books like baseball cards.



I'll be back.

5 comments:

Attila Girl said...

Do you realize you've now done so many posts that your first one has scrolled off of the "previous posts" sidebar?

JP Mac said...

Yes.Thank you for noting, Attilla Girl. Like torn pages from a calendar it is a sign of time passing.

Anonymous said...

I got in trouble in grade school for bringing home a Creepy with a somewhat salacious Frazetta cover. I can still recall my mom: "That's TERRIBLE." I never even got to read it.

PS This thread is kind of incestuous

Anonymous said...

OMG, that's the one! I just clicked the link!

I am so sending this to my mom

JP Mac said...

In junior high, I once gave an oral book report based
on a story out of "Eerie."

It involved an evil wizard transfering his soul into
the body of a newborn who grew to maturity in three
years. The wizard suffered a grim, satisfiying ending.

The class mostly stared. You could hear them blink in
the pauses.

I realized at that moment that Warren Publications may
not be for everyone.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...