Sunday, June 19, 2022

Mental Toughness Overcomes The Quits

 

BookSummaryDK

Yesterday was a perfect example. I didn't run Friday. If I wished to maintain my weekly mileage, I'd need to run further than usual on Saturday. I didn't want to. So I busied myself with many tasks as the day wore on, growing hotter by the hour. By late afternoon, I told myself it was too hot to run. 

Somehow, I made it out the door. At Griffith Park, an event was occupying the parking area I usually used. Trivial? When The Quits are upon you, the little things are weaponized. Finally, I set out to run 7 miles. Before I reached 3, I wanted to quit. I considered stopping at 4. Then 5. By 5.5 I was close enough to 7 to finish up. 

I didn't use my usual weapons of positive affirmations and visualizations. But I did say to myself, 'Not just yet.' It proved enough.

And The Quits lurk in every facet of my life. The rationalizations, the excuses. But they are vulnerable to persistence. Yesterday was a victory. Today, the board is cleared and it begins again: me vs. me.

6 comments:

Authors 4 Characters said...

When it comes to getting stuff done, nothing does the job better than how you'll feel AFTER NOT getting it done. What's more, if you don't complete that task, you force yourself to add to the next day's load, which is even more intimidating as well as discouraging.

If you CAN'T get the day's job done, Do NOT ( I repeat NOT ) add to the next day's load to compensate for the previous day's lack, or you're just setting yourself up for a bigger failure. Just do what you have to do on the day. Start fresh and feel better for getting done what needs to get done THAT DAY.

OY! On the running issue, however, there MAY be an exception to the rule. It's totally NOT worth getting sun stroke or heat exhaustion to prove you can do the 7 miles in whatever time. The emergency room doctor won't care, when you're babbling away incoherently and giving yourself the thumb's up for running in heat that would make WB's Road Runner think twice.

Winnipeg has gotten more seasonal temps and I gave myself a bit of sunburn by staying out longer than I should have, because it was just too nice to be stuck inside. While reading and sunning, I did see a few morons in MASKS in 36 Celsius temperatures. I think that's like mid 90's Fahrenheit. (One of them was even riding a bike!) I was SOOOOO tempted to ask at least ONE of these paranoid dingbats, "So! Let's see if I understand your logic . You are so afraid of catching a Respiratory Illness, even OUTSIDE, that you would rather risk DEATH by SUFFOCATION in nearly 100 degree heat?! Yuh. THAT makes sense. (Or NOT!)" ����‍♀️

Keep up the good work, but BE CAREFUL!!! I don't think your wife wants to hear you say, before you drop dead, "I MADE IT!"

JP Mac said...

They cancelled a marathon today in Manitoba because of the heat.

When The Quits are upon you, it could be 60 degrees out and your mind will tell you it's too hot.

Authors 4 Characters said...

You're right! I was on the bus, on the way home from church, and the bus dispatcher called the drivers to let them know that they could go back to their regular route, from the route they were supposed to be on, for the duration of the marathon. And that was about.... quarter after 12.

YUP. There's that, too. Sometimes The Quits are just good old fashioned common sense.

JP Mac said...

I would differentiate The Quits from common sense.

Authors 4 Characters said...

On second thought, you might be right. There MIGHT be an element of COMMON SENSE in THE QUITS on occasion, but MOST of the time, you have to push your way PAST it and 'get her done'.

JP Mac said...

I would agree.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...