Tuesday, April 06, 2021

What's the Difference Between Panic-PTSD-and Combat Fatigue?

 

Journey of a Prophetic Feeler

No, it's not the setup for a joke. But writers might want to know the difference. Author Caroline Furlong lays out the markers in an info-packed blog post. Furlong points out how the ignorant often conflate this trio of afflictions. 

How So?

". . . no combat veteran is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. Those improvised devices waiting to explode are warped human beings that have chosen their paths and who are seldom veterans. The popular press/media paints with as broad a pop-psychology pastel brush as possible in this matter so as to demean, depress, and indict all those who have served in the nation's armed forces. Combat Fatigue, meanwhile, is almost entirely ignored, by both authors and the media and their pet psycho-babblers."

Learn more about these distinctions with a difference at Furlong's blog A Song of Joy.

6 comments:

Authors 4 Characters said...

Panic PTSD (Post traumatic Stress Disorder) and Combat Fatigue .... They can be defined, but the best person to describe what they mean is someone who's been or going through it.

I'm grateful for those who served our country and they most definitely deserve better treatment from the country they served. Preferential help when it comes to jobs and housing and whatever emotional resettling it might take to get used to civilian life again.

JP Mac said...

Agreed.

Though I believe the author was trying to draw distinctions in the face of a media tendency to lump everything together under the label of PTSD.

Authors 4 Characters said...

Apologies. I was reading the post just before bed. NOT a good idea.

But you're right. The media are getting very lazy about a lot of things. SO, instead of putting out the extra effort, as they USED to do, they just lumb everything together. Even with the Covid stuff. A co-worker's sister is a nurse, who says that a percentage of deaths connected to Covid might not be immediately attributable. But forget mentioning that.

I'll read again tonight. OR, on Saturday, when I've had some more sleep.

Authors 4 Characters said...

I'm going to give Furlong's blog a proper read. It's nearly the weekend and I feel more rested just thinking about it! Therefore, more ambitious to get stuff done.

In a few weeks, I'm gonna have to shut my internet off for a few months, so I'm extra motivated to finish what I've been TALKING about doing.

PTSD does SOUND more deep-seated than Combat Fatigue , but I will very likely have a clearer perspective when I finish reading.

JP Mac said...

It's only a article, though I think she references longer works.

I'll wager you will be a happier, more mellow person without the internet.

Heal quickly!

Authors 4 Characters said...

Yup. She did. I'll have to check out those links over the weekend.

You'll win that bet. I'm happy just thinking about it. Would you believe, I still have a typewriter. (Electric) I'm gonna use that to write out the first draft of ny new story, just for the nostalgic fun of it.

No worries. I'm a quick healer. But my doctor said three months, so three months it shall be. I'm gonna soak up this unplanned summer vacation.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...