Thursday, September 10, 2020

John Steinbeck Writing Hacks

Fallen from currency as of late, John Steinbeck's books occupied much of my sophomore English classes. (Grapes of Wrath, of course, as well as the lesser known Winter of Our Discontent.) In the below prompts, Steinbeck suggests the busy man's goal of a page a day. I suppose that would be single-spaced. Depending on how much dialogue, I reach such a mark in anywhere from under an hour to an hour and twenty minutes. In any case, given revisions and all, you should have a novel in a year. Wouldn't that be grand?


4 comments:

Authors 4 Characters said...

First off, thanks for the vid link. I'm now subscribed.
A completed book in a year. Glory, Hallelujah! Can I assume Mr. Steinbeck was not a procrastinator? Oh, bless him! And you gave me a great idea for audiobooks I'll tray to find on Youtube!

Have you ever read, "Of Mice and Men"? It's been too long but I still recall pieces of that book And, The Pearl..

Oh....not related to Steinbeck but another book I recall, from bygone high school days. Lilies of the Field. My tenth grade English lit teacher read it and did memorably well.

JP Mac said...

"Of Mice and Men," yes.

Was "The Pearl" by Munro?

Never read "Lillies," but they made a good
film out of it.

Authors 4 Characters said...

There are two books by the same title, but one of them is by John Steinbeck. I found the audiobook for it.

Now I wanna find Lilies of the Field in audiobook. I did see the movie once but it was for an English Lit class in high school. In other words, NOT recently. 😀

Happy Friday! 🎉

JP Mac said...

And to you!

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...