Monday, October 10, 2016

Adrift in a Sea of Unfinished Stories

uncoverydiscoveryblog


Haven't finished a short story in over six weeks. Not even a first draft. Zip. I have no idea what I'm waiting for. Certainly not inspiration. Or the perfect metaphor. Or a really ironic Twilight Zone ending. I'm not even pushing the cursor around the screen, filling pages with swill that I'll edit later. Can't be fear. Whatever it is, I'm not producing.

Only a single short story remains under consideration with a magazine. Maybe I should switch to Flash Fiction until this malaise passes. "Death Honk" was fun, a thousand words, and still floating about online in Microliterature. I recall writing it very quickly. Could not other tales be written equally fast?

Back running and walking again, using my new chi running techniques. This morning, a friend called during my post-run stretch. I took the call and finished tasking my hamstrings, realizing that I'd become the person I swore I'd never be: one who combed physical activity and a phone call. At least this transformation took place in Griffith Park and not a gym, where those nearby would be hostages to my infernal chattiness.

Okay. Away. Keep it short.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sent your article to my twitter page. I have a writer friend there who might be able to offer some advice. Mine, for what it's worth, is to try not to over think.. Do you have a favorite writer's spot, like a coffee bar or park bench? Or a spot at your local library? OR..... maybe a good walk might help. Not run, but just a stroll, where you can get the creative cells moving.

Ironically, my best ideas come to me when I'm nowhere near a pen or notebook. At work, where I have to keep moving. There is supposedly a connection between physical exercise and creative stimulation. Give that a go. In the meantime, I'll let you know if my other writer friend has any suggestions.

JP Mac said...

Good advice. I'll give strolling a go.

Just posting about it seemed to help.

I'll post again in a few days with an update.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...