Thursday, June 27, 2013

Heinlein's Five Rules for Writing

Science fiction ace Robert Heinlein composed these aids to crafting the written word  back in 1947:

1. You must write.
2. You must finish what you start.
3. You must refrain from rewriting except to editorial order.
4. You must put it on the market.
5. You must keep it on the market until sold.”

Then he added: “The above five rules really have more to do with how to write fiction than anything said above them. But they are amazingly hard to follow — which is why there are so few professional writers and so many aspirants, and which is why I am not afraid to give away the racket!” More on the subject here.

2 comments:

Roger Eschbacher said...

I wonder what his context was for "refrain from rewriting except to editorial order" because it seems that's all I do before I (self) publish!

JP Mac said...

My guess is that he's talking about the first draft.

Often for me, it's one step forward and nine backwards because of my fidgety editing.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...