Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"There Will Be Sandwiches"

Over lunch, Paul Dini schooled Tom Ruegger, Sherri Stoner and I in graphic noveling. I've got an idea that Tom and I are working on, while Sherri had a few notions that might work best in that medium.

Mostly we swapped bizarre pitch stories. Dini brought home the gold. He'd once been contacted by the assistant of a powerful Hollywood figure. The Big Man wanted Paul to attend a meeting for a new prime-time animated series. After a few questions, Paul realized the Big Man had him confused with Bruce Timm. Paul tried explaining this, but the assistant clearly didn't relish telling her boss he was wrong. So she slapped down the deal closer:

"Why don't you come anyway. There will be sandwiches."

A week later, after attending the meeting and eating a sandwich, Dini received a call from the assistant: the Big Man didn't want Paul for the project. He wanted Bruce Timm. Paul asked if the Big Man wanted his sandwich back, but the irony was lost.

4 comments:

Danny Barer said...

I'd imagine Paul's advice on graphic noveling would start with, "Get Alex Ross or Bruce Timm to draw it."

I was just noticing how Paul excels with deft character bits in the comics he writes. In the latest issue of Detective, Selina (Catwoman) Kyle finds the magician Zatanna in an alley, running a three-card monte game to keep up her skills. And Kyle finds the Queen of Hearts every time.

Anonymous said...

John

I would like a packet of mayo for my sandwich, please. Thank you. Mmmm. Good.

Tom

JP Mac said...

Danny,

I feel Paul draws on the rich comedy subtext that he encounters in pitch meetings.

JP Mac said...

Tom,

And best of all, it was free.

Sorta.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...