Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sultry Deju Va on a Long Run

Arising late yet again, I ran 16.8 miles. The first half on a very steep course was a study in smooth, even hill running. I made expert use of fast foot turnover to speed up on the downhills and finished a minute under pace time. By now, the sun and humidity decided to weigh in. After a hot .8 miles to my car, I loaded up on more water and electrolyte juice before setting out on the second eight.

Here is a selection of thoughts in unshaded regions: Why don't I cut it short today? I could shorten my run/walk ratio. I should walk. I should really walk. What's the big deal? I had a great first half. I don't really want to qualify for Boston this year. A nice new PR will be great. I should walk the last mile so I don't get heat exhaustion.

Still and all, I finished well for the conditions — a minute above pace time. I went to the grocery store for ice and overbought on food. This always happens. I should never set foot in a grocery store after a long run without eating something first.

Now, time for an unpleasant, yet bracing, ice bath.

No comments:

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...