Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Southern California Cold


As the years pass, I find it difficult to believe I once unloaded trucks in sub-zero temperatures for the post office. This was back in Chicago during a series of winters so furious that the national media assured us we faced global cooling. A new ice age was a'coming. All the science agreed.

Here in greater Los Angeles, anything below 60 degrees is a sign of global cooling. At track practice last night I would run 880 repeats, then put on my jacket and stretch vigorously until time to go again. (Temperatures were in the 40s, but this is considered Hawaiian-shirt weather for a Midwestern winter.)

Speaking of Hawaiian shirts, my Teammates running the Honolulu Marathon will be feted tomorrow night at a San Gabriel Valley pizza parlor. (A humble but sincere gesture.) They are less than two weeks away from their event. I remember my excitement last year, preparing to go.

Now I've went.

So I'll wear my sea shell chain finishers medal and bask in the ever warmth of friends.

2 comments:

k said...

Not to mention, driving around picking up the corner boxes until 10PM! 20 below zero three weeks running. Before the wind chill factor.

Didn't I finally tip my truck over, running two wheels up on the center divider because it was so iced over I couldn't see where the curb was? I seem to remember being glad I was properly strapped into my seat - mostly because we'd been getting surprise inspections - as these little loose bits of mail and bags and labels dripped sideways onto my head. Giggling.

I think it was on Dempster. Everything always happened on Demptster.

JP Mac said...

Dempster was indeed the Bermuda Triangle of streets — at least for postal employees.

I was on Gross Point Road one night and had to climb up a nine foot drift, then use a snow shovel to dig down and find the mail box.

Only about 4 letters made it inside before the snow plows buried the box.

We'd come back to post office looking bedraggled and frozen like German P.O.W.'s at Stalingrad.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...