Sunday, May 07, 2006

TNT vs T'ai Chi

For five years I studied Yang family t'ai chi at a little studio in Burbank. Recently I was thinking about the differences between my martial arts classmates and the Team in Training runners.

First off, t'ai chi movements stimulate internal energy. Often called "meditation in motion," t'ai chi form practice leaves you awash in soothing endorphins. No belts or sashes are awarded for advancement. You progress like the tao: a motionless movement.

With Team in Training you're facing nothing but deadlines. For example, weekly mileage increases in order to complete a marathon. (Most people run 3 to 5 times a week, plus cross-training.) In addition, you're on the hook to raise several thousand dollars. For Hawaii last year, the minimum was $4,200.

Yet in general Team in Training runners exhibit more serenity, laughter, and optimism than my martial arts chums. For instance, among t'ai chi peers, there were several New Age passive-aggressives, a political rage-a-holic, and a wisecracking, retired radio comic who dressed like Chester Cheeto. There were also decent, down-to-earth folk, but the malcontents and exotics dominated. Why do runners seem more at peace than Chinese martial artists? Better endorphins? Can't say.

3 comments:

k said...

A political rage-a-holic. I've been looking for that perfect description for YEARS. Thank you.

Net's full of 'em. To me? soooo borrrrrrrrring.

There's something about strenuous physical labor that just cranks me up happy. Always has. Fellow blogger Northwoods Woman is the same way.

Unfortunately, what we also have in common is fibromyalgia. And where that lovely heavy labor is so good for me emotionally, and physically for the RA and such, it's terrible for the fibro.

Rats.

JP Mac said...

Sorry about that fibro.

I think goal-oriented people wring the mostout of life. They work hard for that sense of achievement that comes from accomplishing something difficult.

You have to be wired differently for formless old T'ai Chi.

k said...

Ah! Interesting.

I'm gonna think on that one.

I'm weirdly wired - I go both ways. Strong in both ways, weirder yet.

Doer and dreamer.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...