Monday, February 13, 2006

Post-Injury Swim Lesson

Worked out with my swim coach, Georgia. We trained at a small pool in Pasadena. I learned that I have strength and ease in the water. In fact, I could be a crackerjack swimmer save for my inability to breath without swallowing water. This isn't a problem in, say, mountaineering, but turns out to be a crippling drawback in the swimming community.

Among other drills, Georgia had me do "rockets" where I exhale jumping up from the bottom of the pool, blowing out my last breath as I break the surface in order not to swallow water. Overall, practice turned out to be a serious cardio workout.

Afterwards I did some aqua jogging. Wearing a flotation belt, you run in the deep end, concentrating on form. After about fifteen minutes, my right knee ached a bit. I called it a session, drove home and iced it.

My goal in swimming is to do lots of laps and not drown.

And not have my trunks fall off.

In time, I'm hoping new goals will suggest themselves.

3 comments:

k said...

Those goals are good.

JP Mac said...

Modest, one might say, in any number of ways.

BTW: I'll send you a jpeg of that medal once Joy gets back in town with the digital camera.

k said...

Oh, thank you! I've wanted a look at it.

cool shark, btw.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...