Saturday, February 13, 2021

Self-Publishing, Magical Realism, and the Slippery Slope


crownofcompassion

I wanted so little: a new cover for my horror novel, Hallow Mass. But then I needed a page count for the cover artist. That led me to glance over the manuscript and notice several errors. This led to a brief rewrite which, in turn, led to a longer rewrite, which resulted in my cutting over 4k words. 

This, then, led to my sending the manuscript out to a proofreader. In the meantime, I've acquired the new ebook cover from the artist who is holding onto the paperback cover until I present a final page count. In the meantime, I attemptted to format the paperback interior myself. Several days were eaten up as one step forward often led to three steps backwards and one hop to the side.

Great work by the proofreader, but my production manager—also my wife—rarely sees a free moment these days from her technical writing job. Unable to do the task herself, she suggested a copywriter to supply the manuscript with a high-gloss finish. 

So I offered the job on Reedsy to five of their curated editors. So far, one passed and another wanted twice as much as I could afford. Meanwhile, I've contacted a company in Australia for the formatting. Great price, but I need the copywriting completed first, as well as adding ISBNs, before I can receive the final pdfs. 

Bowker, which handles American ISBNs, presents one with an unforgiving interface. I checked a box by mistake, couldn't undo it, and must now call Bowker and seek their help.

My to-do list now looks like a rough draft for the Peace of Westphalia. And all I desired was a new cover.

Next time, I'll desire differently. 

5 comments:

Authors 4 Characters said...

I'm having the world's worst luck with this page. I've written the same message twice and it keeps blanking out on me.

This time, I'm saving every five seconds. Like you, I loathe re-writes.

OY!!! If it's not one thing it's another. Then another. And another.

When it gets like this, do something calming. If you have a favorite beverage, enjoy it. Tea, iced tea, beer, or wine. My go-to is chilled coffee. Failing that, Berringer's White Wine. YUM! One glass and I can cope with just about anything.

2) Prioritize. : If the Word Count issue is first on the list, get that done. And go from there. One step at a time.

I've been working on a major clean up job for a co-worker's mother. If you don't do ONE thing at a time, you'll lose your mind and not get anything done.

I'm with ya!

Authors 4 Characters said...

I read Crown of Compassion. Thanks for including that link!

JP Mac said...

I write lists ot tasks that overlap with other lists of tasts.

Today I collated all the task lists. Far more manageable now.

But, as you note, only task may be done at a time.

Authors 4 Characters said...


Back in the glory days of Animaniacs, apparently Steven Spielberg was quite the multi-tasker. He could send back notes for episodes while directing Schindler's List, and listen in on John Williams' score for Jurassic Park. I doubt that he does it so much these days, but BOY would I love to have that talent ANY day!

JP Mac said...

Quite true.

He stayed busy.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...