Friday, November 03, 2017

Apocalypse Story a Fast-Paced Revelation


Father Elijah: An ApocalypseFather Elijah: An Apocalypse by Michael D. O'Brien
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

At peace in a desert monastery, a psychologically-scarred monk is summoned by the Vatican to witness to a powerful international figure feared to be the Antichrist.

Based on Catholic eschatology, the story centers around the trials of Father Elijah, who reluctantly sets out on his mission only to find himself reliving the loss of family, friends, wife and child. As dark forces close around David Elijah, his friends and supporters, the monk struggles to complete his charge, grappling with issues such as the savagery of Man, free will, and the healing love of Christ. At the same time, the society around Father Elijah transforms at a bewildering pace, as lines dissolve between spirit, prophecy, and reality.

Set at the turn of the millennia, the book is paced like a thriller, with sharp dialogue driving the action forward; complex characters hold your interest. Overall, a fascinating exploration into the nature of evil, the power of patience, and the possibility of redemption.

View all my reviews

4 comments:

Authors 4 Characters said...

Sounds like a great read! Especially with Christmas coming up. I might get that book for myself since I don't have any other avid readers in my immediate family.

JP Mac said...

The author is very good with dialogue, so the story really zips along.

You should finish in no time.

Authors 4 Characters said...

That sounds like an enjoyable winter read, which is perfect, because we have SNOW.

I've read the book of Revelation (Bible) a few times. Once, literally, because there's a lot of symbolism, and I wanted to imagine taking certain things literally. Then I went back and was a bit more studious. This story would be an interesting read. Oh, and if you'd like some mood music, Youtube uploaded the score to THE OMEN! That music scared the crap out of me. Still does.

JP Mac said...

'Twas a pretty good score.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...