Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Happy Birthday, H.P. Lovecraft

Photo from Lovecraft's Arkham driver's license

A Cthulhu-shaped cake in honor of Howard Phillips Lovecraft, born August 20, 1890. A writer of strange, outre fiction, his works featured gibbous moons, antediluvian architecture, cyclopean structures erected with strange geometry, and monstrous entities that caused poets to go barking mad. This iconoclastic author cut his own trail when it came to horror and fantasy. I aim to glom onto his success with my upcoming fiction book, The Dunwich Diversity Seminar.

DDS tells the story of a modern day, party-girl grad student, related to one of the Miskatonic University professors who turned back the "Dunwich Horror." She finds herself the only one capable of saving humanity from frightening creatures aiming to scour earth of all life and drag it into another dimension. But will our heroine decline the Mojitos long enough to stop these diabolical plans?

So happy birthday, H.P. You would've been 125 years old today. Not quite eldritch, but getting there.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweet, can't wait!

JP Mac said...

So very close now.

Rafa Rivas said...

I read the Call, but I never understood one thing. Arte the Great Old Ones like gods or just longevous aliens. I get the sense that they are from another dimension, but, at least Cthulhu seems very physical. Is he from space, another reality, hell, or another dimension?
I've been drawing Cthulhu heads after the best illustrations I've found. save the Ghostbusters version, most of those portray him as having two eyes, even though he seems to have 6 in the illustration Lovecraft did.

JP Mac said...

Cthulhu mostly seems to be in suspended animation deep beneath the sea.

The others are in another dimension, but can have an influence on our world.

They only seem god-like because they have lived so stinking long.

Are your Cthulhu heads on Deviant Art?

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...