Wednesday, October 02, 2013

So long, Tom Clancy


NY Daily News
 Tom Clancy is gone, but leaves behind good writing advice. From back in the day, I recall reading Red Storm Rising and marveling at how fast Clancy could move action while relating highly technical details on military hardware. He was wise to see the potential mix of his books and video games. And he also had some tips for those interested in a writing career:

"You learn to write the same way you learn to play golf... You do it, and keep doing it until you get it right. A lot of people think something mystical happens to you, that maybe the muse kisses you on the ear. But writing isn’t divinely inspired – it’s hard work.”

Clancy thought of himself "as a storyteller, not a writer." He said,  “I think about the characters I’ve created and then I sit down and start typing and see what they will do."

Considering my recent angst, I appreciate the wisdom of a seasoned scribe who will be missed. 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi John!

THANK YOU for sharing that post!!! Truth to tell, I've never read any Tom Clancy novels, but I may just give it a go, now that he's been kind enough to leave this advice for those of us who sometimes mistake writing for being a magician!

Stephen King's book ON WRITING says basically the same thing! Stephen says that his muse is a cigar chomper who sits on Steve's couch and waits for Mr. King to put in enough time and then he ( Muse) does something somehow, there's a CLICK and everything falls into place. But we have to put in the work.

JP Mac said...

I liked King's book. But I've found my requirements differ at various stages of writing.

Early on, when I'm filling pages I rely on a word count.

In later drafts, I have to go by time in the saddle.

Hunt for Red October is a good Tom Clancy starting point.

James Slaton said...

That's how I view myself, a story teller, and I not only focus on the story but the characters as well because there may be something with the characters that would add on to the story. I'm actually quite surprised at how complex my story has gotten, but it is definitely a fun challenge to tie things together. Each character brings a new puzzle piece to the whole story line.

JP Mac said...

Very true, James.

I used to do more extensive character outlines, but I found the more lasting elements crop up as you write.

Unknown said...

TRUE! I like Stephen King's comparison to character creation being like an archeological expedition, where the discovery is as much a surprise to the writer as it is to the reader.

For me, it's all about time in the saddle. I don't even think about word count. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. When it flows, my hands can barely keep up with what my brain is dictating. I prefer those times. Thanks for the recommend on Hunt for Red October. I'm Pretty Sure Sean Connery was in the movie. Or am I thinking about another movie?

JP Mac said...

Sean Connery and Alec Baldwin are in the film. A good adaptation, I thought.

Unknown said...

Yaaay. Can't believe I got that right. I never even saw the movie!

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...