Sunday, July 31, 2016

Intermittent Fasting and I


Fat Writer Works on Losing Weight

In  January, I weighed 266 pounds as a result of post-op recovery and writing two books in 2015. My waist was a svelte 48.5 inches. All I could wear were shorts with a moon-sized waist and sweat pants.  So in February, I started walking and stationary biking, doing what I could. By May, I'd dropped 12 pounds, but then put a few back in June. 

Then I heard over at Ace of Spades HQ about this thing called intermittent fasting. As they say over at Nerd Fitness:

"Intermittent fasting is not a diet, but rather a dieting pattern. In simpler terms: it's making a conscious decision to skip certain meals. By fasting and then feasting on purpose, intermittent fasting means eating your calories during a specific window of the day, and choosing not to eat food during the rest."


For the past three weeks, I've been eating during a 6 to 8 hour window every day. The other 16 - 18 hours I don't munch so much as a grape. I exercise 4 to 5 times a week, mostly easy running, always undertaken during the fasting period. 

I feel a bit peckish in the morning, but getting busy on the day's stories overwrites such thoughts. Far less junk food passes my lips and I've yet to be hit with the starvation mode munchies.

In three weeks, I've lost nine pounds. I'll post again on this at the month mark, August 7.

Read more of this intermittent fasting business here

Or check out the amusing and informative Hodge Twins as they chat about intermittent fasting in their street-wise, earthy way. 


6 comments:

Authors 4 Characters said...

Congrats on the weight loss. Just make sure you do the fasting with care. I have a friend who fasts for religious reasons, He's not even allowed to drink WATER for that time.I don't think that's safe. Especially during really humid days. The body needs replenishment when it gets too humid out. I can give you some of the advice I should be taking. Try to keep temptations (ice cream) in the store when you leave. Or keep buying to once per month. I should be taking that advice.

JP Mac said...

Water is a big part of my fast.

I drink an 8 oz. glass every hour or so. It keeps me hydrated and gives the illusion of fullness.

CMcB said...

Good luck John. I can't blame "post op recovery" or work.

JP Mac said...

Thanks, Charlie.

I got tired of going in for physicals and always weighing more than the previous year.

Write On said...

Well, you inspired me. After reading your post, I went to the mall. I had to turn away from the mirror. I put all the clothes on the reject rack, bought a pair of shoes, and decided to fast. As I hadn't yet eaten that day, that was day 1, and now I am on day 3. I'm going 16 hours not eating. Fasting is perfect for me. I have plenty of self-discipline to get through 8 hours, as long as I know I can indulge at the end of the day. And after skipping 2 meals, you have to work pretty hard to get in 1500 calories. I just have to be careful to eat most dinners at home so I get in my fruit and veg. It's perfect. For now I was thinking 5 days a week til I get the weight off, and then maybe 3 days a week for maintenance. I'll do more reading to learn about it. I'm glad you posted. I'll keep you posted too.

JP Mac said...

Considering that around half your fast is while you're asleep, it isn't so bad.

And you're right: there's no rush to stuff yourself during the eating period. In my case, I think it's because I've become accustomed to less and couldn't pig out even if I wanted.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...