Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Writing Projects Over the Last Year


My mental state today.

Progress Sucks

Since completing the last draft of Hallow Mass on this date in 2015, I've meandered aimlessly through the fiction wastelands.

As I prepped Hallow Mass for a late April launch, I spent a few months assembling book videos. First for 50 Shades of Zane Grey, then Hallow Mass. Next I set up a nice YouTube channel.

Then I started writing a science fiction novel. Progress lasted until July. This was followed by an attempt to write and sell a tub of short stories. That fizzled also due to lack of author follow-through. (Save one short story still under consideration.)

Desperate, I briefly considered jumping into NaNoWriMo.

Where did the stinking year go?

I'll complete something soon, long or short. This I so declare.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good question; Where *DID* the stinking year go? I don't know about you, but I NEED a distraction free environment. Once upon a time, BC (before computers) or, at least before I owned one, I could plow away at my trusty electric typewriter for two hours a day. And while computers do save a ton of time, editing wise, you have to wonder how much you're getting done when you always feel compelled to check emails and see who's doing what on Facebook or Twitter.

So, yeah, I have my own issues as far as why I haven't done what I wanted. But I have to own up to my part in my lack of work.

What I need is a cottage, Nice, clean, heated and with indoor plumbing, (I'm a spoiled city girl) with a full fridge and plenty of coffee, and all the stuff that goes with it. But NO....ZERO internet access. Just a computer with all the writing programs I could ever want. AND a typewriter with white out and plenty of paper, for days when I want to hear the old fashioned sound of typewriter keys again. There's a rhythm to those keys that sends you into a ZONE that you don't leave until your characters can't figure out what to do next. Then, maybe you can start another project.

Continue this for a MONTH in a close....but not TOO close cottage that secludes you from the rat race but not so far that provisions become an issue in case of a storm.

Jerry B. Jenkins (Left Behind) has his 'cave' where he goes to write. I'm guessing the LB proceeds bought that cozy nook. No matter, it's a great idea!

Life: Unplugged. I like it!

JP Mac said...

Good point. Working at home is a big enough distraction, but the Web makes it a guaranteed time suck. (I always use research as my big excuse to wander online.)

I'm almost tempted to go back to long hand first drafts.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...