Saturday, August 24, 2013

Rita and Runt Remembered

In collaboration with Max Demski (aka King Yakko), Keeper1st has crafted a player-piano arrangement of "Let's Try for Two" from an Animaniacs' Season One episode entitled,  Phranken-Runt.

Directed by Mike Gerard, the story follows Rita (voiced by Bernadette Peters) and Runt (Frank Welker) as they seek shelter from a storm in the castle of a mad lady scientist (Adrienne Alexander) who is in desperate need of a dog brain.

 

Animaniacs "Phranken-Runt" Recollections

 In addition to the lyrics, this is one of the few episodes where I wrote music. "Rocky Horror" was clearly a musical influence, but that was the extent of it. We weren't trying to slip anything past the censors. Compared to later censors, ours were generally so indulgent that duping them would've reflected badly on us.

I used a cheap little keyboard I had in my office at Warners. Richard Stone accepted my barbaric scratch track and worked his noteworthy magic.

I crafted a couple of Rita and Runt episodes but never met Bernadette Peters. Andrea Romano would always record her over the phone or via balloon or some such old school thing. But I surely enjoyed her singing.

Tom Ruegger came up with the idea of having the rat, Mr. Squeak, constantly slipping on an over waxed floor.

UPDATE: Another influence was Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

UPDATE: On Facebook Ron O'Dell wrote: "Max made the arrangement. I just arranged to get it to play on a real instrument, recorded it and made the video."

Here is the episode, courtesy of BloodyWellDone.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Getting to be more of a Rita and Runt fan, as, despite the fact that Runt is ...not bright and doesn't even know that Rita is a CAT, she does treat him better than Brain treats Pinky for the most part. And it must have been MAGIC to be in the studio if Bernadette was recording episode songs! Esp. for Les Miseranimals. "There is a a Flat in Gay Parie..." And I loved your songs for Franken Runt. The actress who played the female Frankenstein reminded me of Madeline Kahn in BLAZING SADDLES!

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting! LOVE these episodes! And I lost the $50.00 and the Festeva. I guessed TEN Brain cells. ;)

JP Mac said...

Good catch. Adrienne did indeed go for that Madeline Kahn feel.

JP Mac said...

Sorry for your loss, Kayla.

But you can't win if you don't play. D:

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...