Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Close to Countdown

Surgery could be around May 20. My orthopaedist tried talking me out of continued running, failed, then acknowledged it was a standard warning administered to runners. He admitted his goal was avoiding knee replacement surgery. I said 'me too.' We parted on good terms. Working on a short story using an interactive outline. Rather than the school outline of Roman numerals, numbers and letters, the interactive form engages you with questions as to why you're considering this or that plot point. I'm always challenged to examine why I've included something, without having to know all the answers. ("I don't know" is acceptable.) Also, I've added a feature where I'll question characters on something unrelated to the story. For instance, I'm currently writing a horror story set on a small ship. But I'll ask my characters to react to waiting in a long movie line only to discover the film is sold out. How they react tells me who they are. I also have them speak to one other on some political or news topic. This is time-saving since my usual approach was to write a draft, then another, and gradually find the voices. Knowing characters better allows room for growth. And if they cross me...out of the story! I don't like doing that, but sometimes they leave me no choice.

6 comments:

Bleep Baby said...

How do you use, or what IS, an interactive outline? Is a piece of software or the process you explained in the post? I belive it's the latter but I'm hoping it is the former.
May 20 is just around the corner! WOW!
I see you whole and running!

JP Mac said...

Latter.

I got the original idea from mystery writer David Morrel. ("Rambo" and many other novels.) I'll send you his article.

Joy McCann said...

Yes--the most important thing is to destroy the disobedient ones.

JP Mac said...

A good example lasts a long time.

Whit said...

Doesn't Final Draft 7 offer an interactive app? Oh, wait. Final Draft 8 just rendered FD7 not worthy.

JP Mac said...

Did you want info on the interactive outline?

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...