Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Final Boston Marathon Thoughts


Big props to Kara Goucher and Ryan Hall for finishing third in their respective divisions. Goucher led 800 meters from the finish, but couldn't hold against world class competition. Hall faded when the front runners surged, but fought his way back, picking off runners to close behind the second man in what was a very deep field. This is the best finish for Americans since 1985, when the top three female and second-and-third male slots were won by the U.S.

Goucher wept in disappointment, but this was only her second marathon. She should be proud. Nothing but upside for USA distance running. 

And nothing but congratulations to Kiley Akers and Kate Freeman for finishing their first 50-mile race. (I thanked them at the retired blog, now I'm thanking them where people will see.) Kiley coaches the fall and spring San Gabriel Valley, Team in Training marathon squads. Kate was my coach for two TNT marathons. Nice to see them set big, scary goals and reel them in.  

3 comments:

Kiley said...

Thanks for your words of encouragement and support John. I'll send out a full race report in a few days. There was some cosmic mojo going on Saturday. The support and well wished of you and others was in my head when I hit a long rough spot.

takineko said...

I'm a little worried about you, John. Retiring your blog isn't a hint that you're giving up on running is it? :C

JP Mac said...

No, just condensing my workload.

Though once they operate on my knee, I won't even be walking for at least a month.

And I'll have plenty of time to blog!

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...