Monday, February 02, 2009

Angeles Forest Run

A wee 5.1 mile run up into the hills past a reconstructed bridge, beyond the fossilized remains of the Elmer Smith bridge, across three rock-strewn streams up to the Gould campground. I said 'hi' to a bearded homeless guy who looked like Z Z Top, reading the paper as I trotted past. At a spectacular cactus patch that rose up like a hydra, I turned around. My run/walk ratio was a modest one minute running per two minutes walking. But my knees felt healthy and vibrant like knees should.

If all stays well, I'll slowly build up mileage to around 20 - 25 miles a week. Once there, I'll begin working on speed.

Meanwhile, MDW and I went car shopping on Saturday. We looked at the Rav4, Jeep Liberty, and Nissan Pathfinder. Deals abound.

4 comments:

takineko said...

I never had an injury, but I feel like I have old woman shins when I run. I just have no shock absorbtion anymore, maybe I just need more practice.

Anyway, I think that was my way of saying I hope you make progress, but don't over do it. Yeah, that sounds good, I'll go with that.

JP Mac said...

Thank you.

I figure working only on distance will lesson the chance of reinjury.

I'm just greatful to be running again.

Jason said...

Seems like something interesting happens on every run.

JP Mac said...

Especially up in the Angeles National Forest.

I salute you for running in January in Ohio.

I used to run winters in Chicago and would finish with enough ice on my muffler to attract leopard seals.

I look forward to following your race prep for Flying Pigs.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...