Sunday, May 18, 2008

Pitching Movies with Paul Rugg

Paul Rugg and I shall once again craft a feature film idea and go a'pitching. We've done this twice. Back in 2002 we worked up a live-action idea about a group of actors undergoing military training in preparation for an upcoming war film. However, they are accidentally dropped off in a jungle and mistaken for real American troops by guerrillas. As I was preparing to leave for Cambodia at the time, we conducted a sales blitz, hitting nine production companies and studios in a little under three days — a blur of smiling faces, couches and bottled water.

In 2003 we prepared an idea about two tornado-chasing geeks sucked up by a twister and deposited in an Oz-like world where they blunder into a quest that changes their lives. A live-action idea, we pitched it around, here and there. (Eventually, I wrote it into a script.) Retooling our tale as animation for a 2005 Dreamworks meeting, we finished the pitch only to have the executive suggest we take it around as live-action.

Now we have an animated concept about dogs and honor and doing what is right, regardless of circumstances. We'll start building a story as soon as I get back from the San Diego Marathon. I have a most excellent feeling about this one, as it is just silly enough to warrant a sale.

UPDATE: Someone else had the same idea around the same time re. actors mistaken for real soldiers. In 2008, someone else's idea became a film called Tropic Thunder. Such are the cards of Fate.

5 comments:

k said...

People love animal movies.

ilovesteaks said...

I'm guessing you'll be coaching the SD rock n' roll, right? or are you going for the 2 for 1 special? :D I'm going to wear my TNT singlet and I'll be looking for you.

JP Mac said...

K,

I believe you're correct.

Ours will have critters to burn, though we probably won't do that.

JP Mac said...

Steaks,

Fall or winter for my next marathon.

And, yes, I shall be out there somewhere coaching.

Look forward to seeing you.

k said...

EEEEEEEEKKK!!!

No, that probably wouldn't be a good idea for that particular market.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...