Thursday, October 18, 2007

So long, Paulette Oates

Had lunch today with Tom Ruegger. As we bemoaned the current state of TV animation, he mentioned Paulette Oates had died. Paulette was the "supply sarge" at Warner TV Animation back in its prime. If you needed post-its or your office moved to another floor, call Paulette. She was one of the first employees brought in as the division staffed up for Tiny Toons. Paulette managed office operations in Sherman Oaks from the late 80s through the booming 90s into the spiral-down OOs. I'd often run into her outside the front door where we'd have a smoke and discuss our mutual love for Las Vegas and games of chance.

In recent years, Paulette successfully battled lung cancer. But as the TV animation division atrophied, she was laid off this summer, dying shortly thereafter from a heart attack. And while the division won a pile of Emmys then zero, Paulette continued on through the years, doing a host of vital unsung chores very well.

Rest peacefully, Paulette. What with bingo in churches, there's a good chance you'll find blackjack in Heaven. All the best. Don't split 10s.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello, Paulette Oates was my mother, I was her youngest child. Its funny, I miss her so much and decided to google her name and this blog popped up. Im glad that my mother left a great impression on her co- workers.Her career was her life as well as her children. She was a great person.

JP Mac said...

Hello,

The pain of losing a parent does indeed linger.

But, yes, Paulette was very well-liked and respected at Warner Bros.

She was a cool lady. You have much to be proud of.

Anonymous said...

Just reading this today John, I did not know that Paulette had died. She was really wonderful, I am doing a bit of mourning for her six plus years later.

--Sarah Tomassi (as she would have known me)

JP Mac said...

Hi Sarah,

Paulette was most excellent. I'm glad you spotted this wee epitaph. It's the least she rates.

BTW, I will never forget you wearing the Freakazoid suit.

John

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...