Saturday, November 26, 2005

Clive Barker Remakes Laurel and Hardy Films


Nothing is coming easy today. A lot of work to get ready for Monday and it's all taking way too long.

They ran Laurel and Hardy movies on TV when I was young. I liked their fussy bumbling and always wanted them to succeed. In fact, I liked them so much I stopped watching altogether. This was after several films ended with L&H engulfed by horrible, undeserved fates.

In one, Laurel and Hardy were tortured so that skinny Stan was compressed into a stumpy midget and fat Ollie was stretched out on a rack until he was basketball player tall. It was unsettling. In another film they were flat out skinned alive. (Snort, chortle.) In yet a third, Laurel is magically shrunk inside an egg. When released, he is tiny and very upset. Hardy roars with mocking laughter. FADE TO BLACK.

These weren't Clive Barker films: "Hellraiser VI: Stan and Ollie." or "Hellbound with a Derby Hat." These were comedies with a beloved team. I used to blame it on World War II. In fact, I did that right here in this post. But I was wrong.

Somebody at the studio signed off on those scripts. ("So we take two lovable losers and skin them alive? I like it! No one will see it coming!")

Ah, well.

Maybe Clive Barker can direct the remake of "Gigli."

5 comments:

k said...

Just curious:

If there's bad stuff in the middle but a happy ending, does that work out ok for you?

Also, have you thrown any turkey bits at the computer yet?

Or maybe cranberries.

k said...

Jarring. Yes.

It's a mystery. Who were the people who steered the L&H movies that way anyway? Why? What were they like, what was their background, to produce that twist inside them?

It's like a puzzle I want to resolve.

k said...

Oh wait! it's TUESDAY. Did you make it on time?

JP Mac said...

Only a third on-time.

I still owe her two more show ideas.

But that shall occur shortly.

k said...

I could never produce that sort of thing on demand, and greatly admire people who can.

Featured Post

John P. McCann Sizzle Page

'Twas suggested I post a few episodes of my work in a pleasant spot. I've chosen here. Sadly, not everything I've written has y...